You know you want to celebrate...Bet you didn't know this though: Pi is represented by the lower case Greek letter, π, because it is the first letter of the Greek word περίμετρος, meaning perimeter. You pronounce it "per-REEM-eh-tos." Go here to hear it pronounced.
Some math nerds at MIT have a way to start big. HERE
Here are some other PI celebration ideas for the rest of us.
1. Curate your own Pi Playlist. Here's mine. Contents (OK you already know how old I am):
- Don McLean's American Pie
- The Four Tops' Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch (real name is I Can't Help Myself)
- The Beatles' Wild Honey Pie
- JT's Sweet Potato Pie
also by Ray Charles Sweet Potato Pie
- Motley Crue's Slice of Your Pie
- Paul McCartney's Flaming Pie
- Bob Dylan's Country Pie
- Led Zeppelin's Custard Pie
- 3.14% of the sailors around the world are “Pi”rates.
- Divide the circumference of the sun by its diameter and you will get a Pi in the sky.
- I tell you, do not talk to Pi. He never stops.
- Pi (1998) directed by Darren Aronofsky
- 3.14... (2014) directed by G. Gotham Smith
and, of course,
- Life of Pi (2012) directed by Ang Lee
- Pies, sweet and savoury
- Sliced Pineapples (they've gotta be sliced to be circles!)
How ever you decide to slice it, have a great day honouring how math is always looking for ways to explain nature.
The circle is just the beginning.
If this isn't nice, what is?
~ Kurt Vonnegut, of course