Wednesday, May 1, 2024

May 2024

 

Beltane... or May Day...

Whatever you choose
As name for today’s
Honoured day,
This is a day of
Ancient celebration.
We may not be ancients
Ourselves,
But we do love
That the return of Light
That began in December
And we joyously marked
In March
Is now halfway
Between that Spring Equinox
And Summer’s official start
In June.

June twenty-first
Seems already just
Too hot to say it’s
Summer’s start.
That’s why Beltane
Celebrates the
Beginning of Summer’s
Warmth.

We all go outside
Again
To renew
All our personal
Fave activities
Sans coats
And boots.

Today in my
18th-floor aerie
My balcony netting
Is doing it’s job
Keeping the fog
At bay.
Funny to celebrate
The sun
When I can’t see it…
Or even
The views it usually
Illuminates.

But I know it’s there
And I’ll go barefoot
Again
Soon!

...
Here’s some
Celebration background
For this day of yore.

...
If this isn't nice, what is?

              ~ Kurt Vonnegut, of course